MAPSPROG is a software program developed by IBP that allows MAPS station operators to enter (or import), verify, and edit bird banding data, including non-MAPS data, collected at any time during the year. MAPSPROG runs several powerful within- and between-record verification routines to quality check the data. Operators can then submit an analysis ready MAPS data file to IBP and prepare files for import into Bandit for submission to the Bird Banding Lab.
MAPSPROG Version 5.1.00 is compatible with Windows 7, 8, and 10; instructions for download are below. Please contact Danielle Kaschube
if you need the XP or Vista version. If you are unable to use MAPSPROG (e.g. if you have only Apple computers available), you can enter your banding, effort, and breeding status data into an Excel file. Please download the data entry template here
Except for small differences in the screens apearance this version (v5.1.00) the program functions the same as the previous versions. If you run into any difficulties running the software, please contact Danielle Kaschube
MAPSPROG Version 5.1.00 and later allows the creation of export files that can be pulled into either Bandit v3.01 or Bandit v4.0.
Installing MAPSROG - UPDATE ONLY
If you already have MAPSPROG on your machine, simply download the zip file, extract the files and copy them into your c:\ibp\ directory. Overwrite any files with the same name, including MAPSPROG.exe. You can then open MAPSPROG as usual and complete your data entry and verification.
Download the MAPSPROG update from the link below.MAPSPROG_51_update.zip
Installing MAPSROG - FULL VERSION
Follow the steps below to download and install the program:
If this is your first time installing MAPSPROG, skip Steps 1-3 because they deal with data entered and/or verified in previous versions.
- Copy the following .dbf files from your c:\ibp\ directory into a holding directory, e.g. c:\holdibp. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO DO THIS STEP OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA ENTRY AND VERIFICATION.
- any file with your location code in it, e.g. LOCA18.dbf, LOCA18M.dbf, LOCA18EF.dbf, etc.
- Uninstall MAPSPROG using the "Uninstall Information" feature in the MAPSPROG directory under "All Programs" in the Start Menu.
- Delete any short cuts and the c:\ibp\ directory.
- Download the updated MAPSPROG from the link below.
- Click the MAPSPROG_v51_setup.exe icon to install MAPSPROG onto your machine. Allow the programs to choose the directory for installation so that all the files end up in the correct place.
If setup breaks down the first time, rerun the program - it sometimes takes twice to make it all the way through the setup.
- Skip this step also if this is your first time installing MAPSPROG. Copy all the following .dbf files from the holding directory back into the c:\ibp\ directory and overwrite all the duplicates in the directory:
- any file with your location code in it, e.g. LOCA20.dbf, LOCA20M.dbf, LOCA20EF.dbf, etc.
MAPSROG Frequently Asked Questions
Photo Credits: Top of Page, US Fish and Wildlife Service; Right Column top to bottom, Andy Morffew, Luis Alejandro Bernal Romero